Successful marketing takes more than just running ads, publishing articles, and designing newsletters. With so many moving parts, running a successful marketing program can be elusive. So, use a thoughtful and simple framework to cut straight to the heart of what it means and what it looks like to get consistent results.
Today, we’re talking to Michael Brenner, the CEO of Marketing Insider Group and co-author of The Content Formula. He shares his global perspective and the secret to success when it comes to content marketing.
Some of the highlights of the show include:
- Michael discovered that he had an aptitude for helping customers at scale
- Counter-intuitive nature of life applies to marketing; there’s a lot more to marketing than just advertising, which we hate and tune out
- We perceive marketing in the wrong way; it’s a two-way communication between a company and its customers
- What type of marketing works? Things that are not selfish, promotional, and interruptive, but aligned to what customers are wanting and what helps them
- Marketing starts with culture, and growth equates to the amount of empathy a company has for its customers, employees, and world
- Mission Statement: What is your purpose? Meaning? What do you achieve for the people you touch?
- Step 1: No matter what you are working on or what role you play in the company, always ask: What’s in it for the customers?
- Do less promotion in advertising and more content marketing or education
- Identify the amount of integration and interaction that occurs across the company
- Step 2: What’s in it for your colleagues? Marketing goes beyond the marketing department; it’s a collaborative and magical effort
- Step 3: What’s in it for the company? Conversions and ROI of content marketing
- Culture, empathy, and performance lead to effective and successful marketing
- Michael tries to do 2 things every day: Be thankful and show empathy (T & E)