Do you have a product or service that people want? Nothing else matters. Every major company started with a very specific customer, and every business has competition. The easiest way to win is to pick a more specific customer to serve. So, pick a target customer, and be very strict about it.
Garrett Moon, CoSchedule CEO, recently wrote the book, 10X Marketing Formula: Your Blueprint for Creating Competition-Free Content That Stands Out and Gets Results. Fortunately, Garrett recorded the interviews he conducted for the book. In today’s episode, Garrett’s 10x interview is with Noah Kagan of Sumo, AppSumo, and Briefcase. Noah continuously pushes the edges of marketing and growth.
Some of the highlights of the show include:
- Focusing on eCommerce has positively transformed Noah’s companies
- Growth Hacking and Marketing: How to find channels that have not been fully utilized or abused
- What has helped grow your business? Do what works; go back to the basics
- Favorite Growth Strategies: Determine what new marketing channels will work; and platform marketing
- Proactive Dashboard: Has to be controllable; you can’t be dependent on anything
- As a marketer, what is one thing you can stop doing today? What are you wasting your time on?
- Noah’s companies perform testing and validation on how they can get more traffic and on-site optimization
- Use content to grow your business; what’s unique about what you’re writing
- Social vs. search content; one is short-term, and the other is long-term options
- Process of understanding your target audience: Which customers have the highest lifetime value? Which have been the easiest for the sales team to talk to?
- Noah’s companies have made two major shifts when focusing on customers: Qualified sign-ups and content related to eCommerce
- Revisit pricing and customers; contact customers via the phone for feedback
- Segment your audience to understand them; but don’t do it too early
- Find a product you love, and let specific people in the world know about it; help people 1 by 1